Garmin inReach Mini 2 FAQs & SpecsUpdated 2 years ago
Table of Contents
Garmin inReach Mini 2 FAQs
How to Activate an inReach Mini 2
Before you can use the messaging and SOS functions on an inReach device, you must create an account and activate a service plan for the device. We recommend that new and existing inReach users visit this Garmin Support Center article to see the best way to activate your inReach Mini 2.
Button Overview on the inReach Mini 2
- Press and hold to turn the device on.
- While powered on, quickly press to open the Power menu.
- Press and hold to turn the device off.
- Press to scroll through menus, pages, and settings.
- Press to scroll through menus, pages, and settings.
- Press to choose an option or to acknowledge a message.
- From the home page, press to open the main menu.
- Press to open the options menu for the page that is currently open (if available).
- Press to cancel or return to the previous page.
- Initiate or cancel an SOS request.
Setting Up the inReach Mini 2
When powering on the Garmin for the first time, you will be prompted to configure some settings and activate with an inReach subscription.
- Power on by holding on top.
- Choose your language by scrolling through the list using and buttons, press OK to select a language.
- Pair your inReach Mini 2 with your phone.
- Activate your inReach Mini 2 with an inReach Satellite Subscription.
- Sync and update your inReach Mini 2 with the Garmin Explore app and Garmin Express.
Pairing an inReach Mini 2 with a Phone or Tablet
The inReach Mini 2 can be paired with a mobile device to compose, send, and receive messages using the interface of your mobile device.
Using the inReach Mini 2 with your mobile device will require the Garmin Explore app.
NOTE: The inReach Mini 2 can only be paired to one phone at a time.
First Time Users
- Install and open the Garmin Explore app.
- Tap Next after reading and agreeing to the EULA.
- Below the sign in option, select Create One and follow the prompts to create an account.
- Select Pair Device.
- Select Add Device.
- Select your inReach Mini 2 from the list.
Place the inReach Mini 2 into pairing mode:
When Powering on the inReach Mini 2 for the First Time
When powering on the inReach Mini 2 for the first time, you will be prompted to select a language, then pair with a phone:
Selecting Pair Now will put the inReach Mini 2 into pairing mode.
Pairing Prompt Was Skipped Previously
1. If necessary, arrow back until you reach the home page.
2. From Home Page, press OK to open the main menu.
3. Select Settings.
4. Select Phone.
5. Select Pair Phone or Continue.
- In the Garmin Explore app, select the inReach Mini 2 and follow the prompts to complete the setup.
The inReach Mini 2 should now be paired with the Garmin Explore app.
Troubleshooting Pairing Issues for the inReach Mini 2
Check for Software Updates:
Garmin Device Updates
Use Garmin Express on a computer to check for software updates available for the inReach Mini 2.
Garmin Explore App Updates
Access the app store on the phone or tablet to install any available updates for the Garmin Explore app.
Phone or Tablet Updates
Most mobile devices install updates automatically, but it is best to confirm you have the latest operating system and install any missing updates. Consult your phone manufacturer for assistance, if needed.
Reboot the inReach Mini 2 and Phone or Tablet
Restarting the devices you are trying to pair will often resolve common Bluetooth issues.
Try powering off both the inReach Mini 2 and your phone or tablet, then powering them both back on.
Confirm Bluetooth Pairing is Enabled
Check in the phone or tablet settings to ensure Bluetooth is turned on and not in Airplane mode. Contact the phone or tablet manufacturer for assistance, if needed.
To enable Bluetooth pairing on the inReach Mini 2:
- From the home page, press OK to open the main menu.
- Select Settings.
- Select Phone.
- Select Pair Phone.
Retry the Pairing if It Fails or Stalls
If you encounter a Pairing Failed error with the option to Retry, select Retry to try again.
If it fails again after selecting Retry, perform the following:
- Forget/remove/unpair the inReach Mini 2 from the Bluetooth menu in the phone or tablet's settings.
- Start the pairing process again in the Garmin Explore app.
Allow Enough Time for the Phone or Tablet to Find the inReach Mini 2
During the pairing process it can take 20+ seconds for the phone or tablet to find the inReach Mini 2.
If your phone or tablet does not find the device right away, allow more time. Examples:
A Select Your Device prompt will be displayed. Wait long enough for the device to appear, then tap on it to select it.
A Connect to a Device prompt will be displayed. Wait long enough for the device to appear, then tap on it to select it.
Connect the Phone or Tablet to Mobile Data and Try Again
If the inReach Mini 2 is not pairing with the phone or tablet connected to Wi-Fi, try switching to a mobile data connection and try again.
Where can I find the Garmin inReach Mini 2 Manual?
Click here to see the inReach Mini 2 manual.
See more inReach Mini 2 FAQs:
Click on this link for more inReach Mini 2 FAQs.
Garmin inReach Mini 2 Product Specifications
- PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS: 2.04” x 3.90” x 1.03” (5.17 x 9.90 x 2.61 cm)
- DISPLAY SIZE: 0.9" x 0.9" (23 x 23 mm)
- DISPLAY RESOLUTION: 176 x 176 pixels
- DISPLAY TYPE: sunlight-readable, monochrome, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP)
- WEIGHT: 3.5 oz (100.0 g)
- BATTERY TYPE: Rechargeable internal lithium-ion; Up to 14 days at 10-minute tracking send interval with standard activity recording with full sky view
Need further troubleshooting? No problem!
For further technical support, we recommend contacting Garmin's fantastic technical support team—this can be done in two ways:
As an Authorized Garmin dealer, any inReach Mini 2 sold on PlayBetter.com is completely eligible for Garmin's 1-Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty. So you can be confident you'll be protected from any product defects within 365 of your delivery date!
The PlayBetter.com team is here to support you the entire way! So if you're not getting the help you need, please contact us via Help Center (email, chat or phone) and we'll make sure you're taken care of.